Thursday, February 18, 2010

Carbs Ain't Heavy, They're my Brothers


I've realized that at least part of my motivation in doing this is in defense of carbohydrates. It seems, in today's America, poor little carbs can use a friend.

Low-carb diets have afforded me moderate success in the past. I understand the science behind it and agree with the premise in most regards.

I belong to the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-Day Saints (Mormon) and as such, believe in the Word of Wisdom, what most of the world considers our "code of health". While it suggests avoiding alcohol, coffee and drugs, it also contains commentary on meat (to be eaten sparingly) and grain (to be the "staff of life"). This can seem to clash with what our eyes can see as convenient and nutritionless carbohydrates have helped our nation to hefty waistlines, increased rates of heart disease and diabetes and an endless supply of contestants for NBC's The Biggest Loser.

If I'm a small part of proving that whole grains and sensible choices can be a part of losing weight and improving health, I will consider this a success.

No comments:

Post a Comment